Cannondale Bicycle Corporation is a major American bicycle manufacturer that designs and produces high-end e-bicycles, recreational bikes, and apparel lines.
Cannondale has become one of the biggest and most influential bicycle companies in the world, selling millions of traditional and electric bicycles in more than 100 countries around the world. The company’s headquarters are in Wilton, Connecticut, USA.
Over the years, Cannondale has become a synonym for quality, innovation, and diversity. It produces a variety of bicycles in different quality classes and price ranges, intended for recreational riders and competitors.
- Cannondale is one of the biggest and most influential bicycle companies in the world.
- The company manufactured its bikes in the USA until 2011, but then moved the production to Taiwan.
- Cannondale is owned by Dorel Industries, which also owns Schwinn, GT Bicycles, Mongoose, and a few other brands.
- Cannondale’s high-end bikes are often ridden by elite road and MTB riders in top-tier competitions.
- This USA-based company is one of the greatest pioneers when it comes to innovative cycling technologies.
- Cannondale started manufacturing bicycles a decade after the company was established in 1971.
In this article, we’ll give you a detailed rundown of this behemoth of a cycling brand and an in-depth overview of their electric bicycle lineup.
Cannondale History and Overview
Cannondale began in 1971 under Joe Montgomery manufacturing the industry’s first bicycle trailers. Touring frames followed in 1983 and road racing and mountain bikes in 1984, all featuring hand-crafted, oversized aluminum tubes. It was the first company to mass-produce aluminum frames.
Later on, it developed carbon fiber composite frames, introduced a clothing apparel line, and even tried a move into motorsports. In 2003, facing bankruptcy, Cannondale sold off the division. The company was then bought by Dorel Industries in 2008, which is still the owner.
Over the years, Cannondale has also positioned itself as one of the biggest and most innovative manufacturers of electric bicycles in the world.
They call their e-bikes Neo, which is a suffix that’s usually added to the original model name of the bike that’s being electrified. That said, at the moment of writing this article, Cannondale offers almost 50 e-bike models in all the popular categories, such as:
Let’s take a closer look at some of its most popular and most innovative models.
Popular Cannondale E-Bike Models
Cannondale is one of the biggest manufacturers of electric bicycles in the world. The company build a variety of models in different categories, that vary in price and intended use.
Below is just a fraction of its offering of high-end and mid-range road, mountain, fitness, and other kinds of e-bikes.
- Treadwell Neo – MSRP From $2,300 – This is a selection of e-fitness bicycles intended for casual riding and commuting. The bicycles feature comfortable ergonomics, sweptback handlebars, and urban-ready accessories.
- Topstone Neo Carbon – MSRP From $6,000 – A series of premium electric gravel bikes from Cannondale. They feature the best possible components, carbon frames, and the brand-new Kingpin suspension.
- Synapse Neo – MSRP From $4,500 – Purebred electric road bikes with fast-rolling 700c wheels and lightweight electronics. These bicycles feature efficient mid-drive Bosch motors and seamlessly integrated batteries.
– Full Review
- SuperSix EVO Neo – MSRP From $4,500 – Premium electric road bicycles built around aluminum and carbon frames. Ideal for riders who need assistance but don’t want to give up on the original road bike riding feel.
- Quick Neo – MSRP From $2,550 – Affordable electric fitness bicycles perfect for everyday commutes, grocery hauls, or workouts. Includes step-over and step-through frames with rear hub motors and integrated batteries.
- Moterra Neo – MSRP From $4,200 – Full-suspension electric mountain bikes built for shredding the trails. They feature carbon or aluminum frames, massive tires, powerful electronics, and high-end suspension.
- Habit Neo – MSRP From $5,500 – This is a series of do-it-all trail machines with powerful Bosch pedal assistance and huge batteries. These e-bikes offer 29″ wheels 130/140mm suspension and aggressive geometry.
- Tesoro Neo – MSRP From $3,350 – A selection of electric touring bicycles for riders with long-distance rides on their mind. These bikes come with front suspension, rear racks, lights, and reliable Bosch mid-drive electronics.
- Canvas Neo – MSRP From $2,999 – A line of electric urban bicycles for city riding and commutes. Fully-equipped with the necessary accessories, these e-hybrids also feature integrated Bosch batteries and performance mid-drive motors.
Classes and Electric Components
The majority of Cannondale’s electric bicycles come with Bosch Active/Performance Line motors and battery packs. However, some high-end e-road bikes, such as the SuperSix Evo Neo 1, boast Mahle electronics.
Cannondale’s e-bikes feature high-capacity batteries that often offer upwards of 500 Wh. That means that riders can get as much as 100-150 miles of range per charge (according to Cannondale’s estimate), which is higher than what a lot of competitors offer.
Cannondale makes Class 1 and Class 3 e-bikes with pedal-assistance, so there are no Class 2 e-bikes with a throttle available from this American brand.
The batteries are integrated into the down tube on all models, which makes many of Cannondale’s e-bikes look like traditional bicycles. The motor placement varies, but most models come with mid-drive motors, whereas some feature rear hub units.
Another important feature of Cannondale’s e-bikes is big LCD screens that show battery status, pedal-assist level, speed, distance, time, and other important metrics. Bosch systems usually come with Bosch Purion displays. Newer e-road models come with an Integrated Top Tube Controller in the form of a single button that lets you see the battery charge, turn the system on or off, and choose the level of assist.
Cannondale’s Lefty Oliver Fork is one of the most popular and unusual inventions patented by this company. We’re talking about a suspension fork that provides 30mm of travel and has only one leg. The coil and the damper are both fitted inside the left leg.
Cannondale includes these forks on its premium cross-country and gravel bicycles. Even some e-bikes come with lefty forks, such as a few Topstone Neo Carbon models.
The Lefty design eliminates a lot of unnecessary weight and improves the overall stiffness of the fork. It also makes it more practical to replace a flat tire, as riders can do it without removing the wheel from the bike.
Kingpin Suspension is the latest technology that came out of Cannondale’s laboratory. The company first introduced it on high-end Topstone Carbon bicycles, but it then made its way into the electric bicycle category as well.
This suspension system features a thru-axle pivot that links the seat stays to the seat tube, allowing them to travel 30mm. The simplicity of the system makes it incredibly lightweight and durable, as there are no complicated parts or connections that require excessive maintenance.
The Kingpin suspension is not ideal for trail bikes and serious mountain bikes. However, on gravel and cross-country bicycles, it greatly improves comfort, speed, and performance. All of that comes with next to zero weight penalty.
People Also Asked for:
Here are the answers to some of the questions that we most frequently get from our readers about Cannondale electric bikes!
Does Cannondale make good electric bikes?
Yes, Cannondale makes very good electric bicycles. Its e-bikes come with top-of-the-line Bosch motors and batteries and high-quality aluminum and carbon frames. Cannondale’s e-bikes also come with reliable Shimano and SRAM components, so you get great value for your money.
Are Cannondale bikes still made in the USA?
No, Cannondale bicycles are no longer made in the USA. The company moved its production to Asia, specifically Taiwan. This is where the majority of big cycling brands manufacture their bicycles nowadays.
Is Cannondale a good e-bike brand?
Yes, Cannondale is a great e-bike brand. Its electric bicycles are built with the highest standards, using high-quality materials and reliable components from reputable brands like Shimano, SRAM, Bosch, Mahle, and others. Though their bikes are on the expensive side, they still offer excellent value for the money.
Is Cannondale better than Trek?
It’s hard to say. In some areas, Cannondale is better than Trek, whereas in others Trek takes the lead. Both Cannondale and Trek make phenomenal high-end bicycles, but Trek has a slightly better offer of entry-level recreational bikes. Both companies are innovative and their products meet the highest industry standards.
Are Cannondale bikes Unisex?
A lot of Cannondale’s models of traditional and electric bicycles come with men and women-specific frames and configurations. However, that’s partly just a marketing trick. Most of Cannondale’s bikes are unisex, which means that men and women can ride them without any big issues.
Bottom Line—Who Are Cannondale E-Bikes For?
There’s no doubt that Cannondale makes some of the best bicycles in the world, but are they for everyone?
Cannondale electric bicycles are not the cheapest out there, so they’re definitely not perfect for riders on a tight budget. If you’re willing to invest a bit more and get a bicycle from a reputable brand with great quality, warranty, and customer support, then Cannondale is the way to go.
Cannondale makes e-bikes in all categories, so anyone can find a model that fits their needs. You can choose from a rich selection of road, mountain, fitness, urban, gravel, and other types of bikes.
Cannondale’s e-bikes also have great resale value, so you’ll be able to get back a good portion of the original price if you decide to sell your Cannondale bicycle after some time.
The bottom point is, you won’t make a mistake if you give Cannondale a chance, just like millions of riders out there who have already done it.